What Is Network Monitoring
What Is Network Monitoring?
Network monitoring is the practice of making sure the network as a whole, functions optimally by keeping a watch over all endpoints of a network, which is the heart of any business’s routine functioning. Any discrepancy in the form of a breach or slowdown could prove costly. Proactively monitoring networks helps administrators identify and prevent any potential issues that could occur at any time.
The core functionality of networking monitoring software is to enable businesses to keep their networks running without any hiccups by detecting, diagnosing and resolving network performance issues by scanning and monitoring network devices to ensure optimal performance.
Importance of Network Monitoring
Network downtime or failure can lead to severe losses for your business by affecting regular internal and external functions. But when your networks function optimally, it can support overall business functionality, increase productivity and boost security. That is why it is crucial that networks are constantly monitored to keep their performance and health in check.
The loss your business will incur in the event of a network failure or even temporary downtime makes it worthwhile to consider using a network monitoring software that can proactively monitor functions and help you resolve an incident before it occurs.
How Network Monitoring Systems Can Help Your Business
As you know by now, network failure or downtime can be expensive for your business. The primary objective of network monitoring is to improve your network’s performance. Let’s take a look at what network monitoring can do for your business.
- Increases IT resource efficiency: Network monitoring systems help reduce manual work for IT teams by automating the monitoring process. This means you can direct your IT resources towards more critical business tasks.
- Provides a central view into the network: Network monitoring gives administrators clear visibility of all devices connected to the network and how data makes its way across the network. This makes it easier for administrators to quickly identify and resolve issues that might cause trouble.
- Identifies security threats: When your networks are constantly monitored, it makes it easier to understand what is normal and what is not. That means, when something unusual happens, it’s easier for administrators to identify the problem and gauge whether it is a security threat.
- Helps plan IT infrastructure upgrades in advance: Network monitoring can help you identify how various aspects of your network have been performing over a period of time. These reports can help administrators identify whether their organization needs to upgrade its IT infrastructure.
What to Expect From Your Network Monitoring Software?
Apart from cost, there are several key factors when it comes to choosing the right network monitoring solution. The primary role of network monitoring is to work autonomously after a simple installation, thereby enabling IT teams to focus on more important tasks.
Here are some key features to look out for when choosing a network monitoring software:
- Visibility: A good network monitoring software will give you total visibility across your networks. This can help administrators quickly identify potential issues and resolve them. Additionally, if your network monitoring solution offers automatic discovery and diagramming, it will make the process of managing your network simple, intuitive and efficient.
- Seamless probing and discovery: Your network monitoring tool must act as an agent to probe and detect all agents on the network. This feature must be available across all devices in the network.
- Automatic device discovery: Some network monitoring software offer automatic discovery, enabling the solution to constantly service the network’s current status. If a new device is added to the network, a network monitoring tool with automatic device discovery can collect and report device information, ensuring your network topology is up to date.
- Scalability: Before choosing a network monitoring solution, you need to gauge its scalability because your network is rarely static. While your business is constantly growing, the number of endpoints, devices and traffic increases too. Therefore, it is essential to make sure your network monitoring tool can scale its capabilities to accommodate the growing size of your business and its networks.
- Ease of use: Usability is an important factor in choosing the right solution for you. A solution that is easy to use and gives real-time, actionable reports will give your more value. This will allow your IT teams to focus on more important tasks at hand by reducing the time taken to identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues with your network.
If the high cost of network failure is not reason enough, network monitoring solutions also allow you to perform other important tasks without constantly worrying about the health and safety of your networks.
That is why investing in a network monitoring software that provides the visibility required to navigate through remote or hybrid workforces is key to always staying on top of your business networks.
You can now control all your devices from a central dashboard with Pulseway’s Network Monitoring Software. Try it now!